Thursday, June 28, 2012

Tetrad


Tetrad of Emerging Technology with Progressions

Data Storage: The Flash Drive


Data Storage: The Flash Drive
Enhances

The flash drive allows users to store additional data without incurring the cost of upgrading their computer's hardware.  It is portable and allows users to edit material on any computer device.
Obsoletes

The flash drive obsoletes CDs, DVDs, floppy discs, external hard drives, Zip in some instances, and even the computer’s hard drive in the case of the netbook and the latest computers that use cloud technology for storing data.   The flash drive also negates the need for a paper trail.

Retrieves

The technology reverses into cloud storage.  Cloud computing has invaded the world of storing data and allows users to work from any device and still have access to one's own files and documents.
Reverses

The technology retrieves the art of storing information for the purposes of transferring from one user to another.  Information was written on the walls of caves, stored in the brain and transferred by oral tradition, and later written on papyrus, scrolls, paper, hard drive, and external drives.



One emerging technology with progressions is data storage.  Data storage dates back to recording information on the walls of caves to using the brain for storing data to storing data today in the clouds.  Along the way storing additional data using computer technology has continued to progress from the external hard drive to the floppy discs to CDs to zip to DVDs to flash drives to SD cards to now using tools such as Google drive and DropBox to store data in the clouds.  As I speculate how the technology of storing data may evolve, I consider the possibility of storing data on crystal via what I would term to be a holographic projection (Hudson, 2005).  This idea of storing data on crystals is reminisce of etching data on stones, cave walls, papyrus, and eventually paper.  The idea behind this progression is how to store the greatest amounts of data on the smallest space.  Soon we will be trying to figure out how to automatically download information into the learner’s brain?  Perhaps the answer is in nanotechnology.  Any thoughts?
 

Reference


Hudson, J. (2005). This laser trick’s a quantum leap. WIRED. Retrieved from http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2005/10/69033.


4 comments:

  1. Vida,

    You included some obsoleted technologies that I did not think of, DVD's and ZIP. I still use my external hard drive to back up my computer and to store old files that I don't use regularly. Do you think the flash drive will eventually be obsoleted by cloud storage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rashida,

      That's a great question. I think that once individuals can get past trust issues of the potential for losing their information in the 'clouds' or being hacked, they will develop more confidence in this technology. The draw to flash drives, however, is that they are compact, easy to carry around like a tube of chapstick, and they allow you to access your data from any computer. Cloud technology wins out in allowing you to access from your phone and from tablets such as the iPad. I am ready to give up my flash drive since I break into a panick whenever I misplace it. I am ready to throw my hands up into the clouds! lol. Thanks for your response.

      Delete
  2. Vida -
    I like the fact that you went back to cave drawings and oral traditions! Thanks for that. When you talked about crystal holographic storage, I immediately thought about a beautiful crystal piece of jewelry that would hold all my data! I have seen clever flash drives that are set up as necklaces, etc. I'm sure that's not what is meant by this terminology, but it's hard to wrap my mind around what this may look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha,

      The beauty of this technology aside from that of the crystal of course, is that the data is not stored on the surface of the crystal as if written on a flat surface, but it permeates the depths of the crystal. I think of it almost like storing information in the brain. It's pretty exciting technology. Please see the link below for a great article on the subject. Thanks for responding.

      Vida

      http://holocrystals.com/

      Delete